In 1895 William H. Logan opened a funeral home on the 2400 block of Lombard Street in the Schuylkill Section of Philadelphia. William and his family lived next door to the parlor and owned a stable/carriage house around the corner on Naudain Street. The business quickly grew and the Logan Funeral Home was doing very well by the year 1910.
As the new century brought wave after wave of new immigrants to Philadelphia, the area known as Schuylkill became a hub for the Irish working class. By the early 1920’s the funeral home was arranging for over 200 funerals a year. Most of the funerals in that day were conducted from people’s private homes and the small funeral home was able to thrive in this environment.
In 1929 William H. Logan, Jr., along with his father, noticed a new trend in demographics and decided to open a branch location in the Borough of Yeadon, Delaware County. At this time the inner suburbs were starting to flourish and the move to Yeadon seemed justified. William H. Logan, Jr. became very active in his new suburban business, joining many organizations including Yeadon Borough Council.
When William H. Logan, III decided to move to a bigger location across town in Yeadon in 1964; a town that was by this time, bursting at the seams with new suburbanites. Philadelphia in the 1950s and 60s had an outpouring of people into the surrounding communities and the funeral home was well positioned to meet the needs of the new suburban residents. This demographic change, along with William, III’s continued community involvement, have allowed the business in Yeadon to thrive.
In 2004, the Logan family broke ground on a new Funeral Home in the town of Exton, Chester County on an ideally located spot at the corner of Route #30 & Ship Rds.
In 2006 William H. Logan, IV purchased an existing funeral home on Eagle Rd. in Havertown, Delaware County. By expanding westward away from the city of Philadelphia the Logan family is hoping to continue our community involvement and gain the trust of the people of these two new communities.